I'm a student at Liberty University, the biggest Christian college in the world. I'm a student leader and future campus minister. I have started a bible study that led me to the opportunity to lead a small group consisting of an average 15-20 students every week. I've even put together and hosted a regional student ministry training conference. God has chosen me to be a leader and a missionary to His people on several different campuses and communities. I am destined for greatness with God and because I am...I should probably know what the Gospel is!
With all of those past experiences and events I was led to Liberty University to finish my degree. Everything I was a part of was due to God's passions that were handed to me. I came and spent my first semester wasting no time at all by becoming a part of Liberty's student leadership and facilitating my own small group. I felt like I had the wisdom and authority to conquer anything. At the beginning of this semester I decided to challenge myself yet again by applying to become a Residential Assistant. This job requires many different qualifications and traits that each person would use towards this type of ministry opportunity. I thought I was "overly-qualified" for the job.
My hall's Resident Director selected me for an interview. I put my ministry leader hat on and walked into that interview. I was given 8 questions. The very first one was "What is the Gospel?" For the very first time I panicked! I couldn't give him a confident and straight answer. The interview did not go the way I had desired and felt embarrassed that I did not answer the question correctly. I sat in my bed that night ashamed and disappointed when things started to come clear.
For that past several years I've believed for all these things to happen and watched the fruit of the spirit poured into each act of faith and hard work while in the ministry. I went from not having personal and spiritual ambitions to allowing God to change my life for Him. There was one problem. That problem was my pride. I thought I was with great authority and above those I poured into. That prevented me from allowing the Gospel to use me and those I ministered to. I forgot the value and power of the Gospel. His story is why I'm alive in Christ and explains how to act as children of God. It illustrates how His loves dwells within us and how to believe. It's the only story in which I give my life like Christ did for us and it's the only story that saves and loves us! How could I forget the Gospel?
As I'm sure nervousness had some to do with my lack of a full answer for that question during my interview, my Lord wants me to know the Gospel. Instead of allowing pride to tell me what I need to know, I will listen to and share this:
The Gospel is the good news that God became man in Jesus Christ. He lived the life that we should've lived and died the death we should've died in our place. 3 days later He rose again from the dead proving His identity as the son of God and offering salvation and forgiveness of sins for all who repent and believe the Gospel.
Now I'm on a journey to humble myself before the power in that. From now on I will let the Gospel speak for itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment