Sunday, July 7, 2013

Traffic Cones

When I think of traffic cones I think of really bad traffic or inconvenient detours. Traffic cones tend to have negative connotations attached to them. Let's discuss the definition and purpose of them to see if that's a fair statement. According to Wikipedia, they're markers that are placed on roads or footpaths to temporarily redirect traffic in a safe manner. Breaking that down to mean anything significant is difficult unless you apply it to your own life. In order to do that you need to be able to see clearly. That may sound obvious...until you run into something you didn't see. How many times has God redirected you to safety from the road you chose to take? 

Even taking the right path can be dangerous when you're changing lanes without checking for impending danger. I'll see the cones keeping me down a slow but steady lane, but as soon as the cones clear I turn into that lane. It's when that happens that the cones reappear to put me back where I was. I was unfortunate to have hit one once. After I reached my destination I checked for damages to discover an imprint of the cone on my front bumper. It's a reminder to me now to stay down the path I was directed. The same way God's love and wisdom are imprints on my heart that remind me to follow God down the footpath He has created for me.

Our eyes aren't always open the way God's eyes are. Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines traffic cones as a marker used on a road or highway (as for indicating an area under repair). Although we are walking down a path of righteousness when we choose to walk with Jesus, we aren't always aware of our surroundings. We always see the cones as an area that is under repair that we need to avoid. Are there times where you can determine that maybe YOU are what is under repair? Those same traffic cones are markers that are giving you the space and time necessary to give God the authority to work on you (you being the project).

One last thought on the structure of the cones. Each cone is wrapped with reflectors that reflect light so you can see them in darkness. The proof of light in darkness can be illustrated this way. When we feel lost, confused, and broken in a dark place; God shines His light and guides us with His divine traffic cones. Every time you look at the light reflected off the cones, know that the light needs to be close and powerful enough to show it's presence. God is always close and is always present. You just need to open your eyes to see His light shining upon you every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment